|The ninja brothers leap across the rooftops of New York in this attempt to bring the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles artstyle to my own 2D method. This is what happens when I actually focus on the background!|
Current Residence: State of Denial
Favorite genre of music: Pop rock, with a mix of a little of everything else
Favorite style of art: Anime, cartoon, animation in general
Operating System: Windows 7
MP3 player of choice: iPod
Favorite cartoon character: Brainiac 5, Bumblebee, Aang, Hao, Edward Elric, Lina Inverse, Kenshin, Flint from CWaCoM, Atem from Yu-Gi-Oh, Final Fantasy Unlimited Cid, Danny Phantom, Sari Sumdac, Firefist Ace, Phineas Flyn-Fletcher, Poof, all four TMNT, THE LIST GOES ON
Personal Quote: Man, that would creep me out if I found someone who looked like me. Wait, I have a twin sister!!
"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again. " -Disney
Its my birthday today! Anyone want to draw my OC's? (kidding, lol)
I may be seeing an end to my crazy summer . . . once I recover from the last few crazy days and then prize myself off my TV and the Rio Olympics.
OC's I made for the Voltron TV show, because my brain won't shut off. All sketches I did mostly without reference (save for the Paladin uniforms). Had fun with coloring and background for kicks. Done during the scattered moments I had during one crazy week. One should look familiar; he's a character from an original story concept of mine.
No, I can't stop. I've tried. I'm way too busy for this, lol. I don't even have time to do my digital stuff. And the Olympics are on. If anything, I should be doing Hetalia art at this point. But noooo, Voltron won't leave me alone. And my sis and I keep coming up with fun OC's.
1. Fitzaria "Fizz" Jestar. She came in her entirety from a dream I had. I introduced her in my Voltron Meme, so if you want a bit more detail just scroll down to #8 in the description (you'll also see I changed her haircolor; the turquoise wasn't doing anything for me). But the quickie version is that she's a Descendant Altean (an off-shoot of the Altean race that escaped genocide by rapidly developing their camouflage capabilities and live a loner, nomadic lifestyle). She works as a mercenary, and has collected enough weird life stories to rival Coran. She becomes their fighting coach, since she knows lots of different styles, although her teaching methods leave something to be desired. Mainly, she has a very cheerful, beat-the-techniques-into-you style which often leaves them rather bruised and battered. Lance especially lives in mortal terror of her lessons.
She also loves to cook, although only Coran can stomach what she makes. Her homemaking skills reek, despite the fact that housewife is what she really wants to do (she's in the Altean equivalent of her late 30's so she's ready to settle down . . . sorta). This is one of the reasons she has a super-huge crush on Coran, and makes it plain from the get-go. Good thing he actually likes her, or she'd come off as a bit of a crazy stalker. They spend a lot of time cooking and exchanging stories from their eclectic lives. They're both talkative, cheerful people. Only she's . . . violent. Very violent. Quite happily so.
2. Lezda. This is my sister's OC. She's a Galran Druid. And she's not on their side, not anymore at least. She used to be all about the Galran cause, up until she found the plans for the world-draining technique/weapon. Then she stole them and ran away. It ended up being useless; they had backups (duh) and she ended up marooned on a forest planet for six years, where she used her arts to convince the tribal natives she was a goddess. The Voltron team rescues her right as the Druid sect finds her and sends and assassin.
Her personality is rather amusing. She counts herself a huge flirt and speaks and moves in a very sultry sort of manner. She also uses her magic to create an air of drama around her. Too bad her internal clutz ruins the effect; she usually trips when posing or accidentally sets something on fire when trying to use a spell to show off. As such, the team assigns Keith to keep an eye on her and makes sure she doesn't accidentally break anything or kill herself. She acts like this was on purpose and designates him her personal bodyguard (much to his exasperation).
She also has an inner cutsy side; she likes pretty and adorable things, and tends to squeal like a teenager when something tickles her fancy. And she is rather young; she's the Galran equivalent of the Paladin's age. And she reeeeally appreciates the appearance of her bodyguard.
3. Buzz Roswell. The only character here who's an original race of mine, because technically he's from a story concept of mine. See that link for more detail about him and his race, but I've got a variation for the Voltron universe. He's a Kiiree, an insectoid race that is seen as a bunch of dangerous savages by most the universe. 10K years ago, they were pirates and a horrifying scourge on nearby systems. The Alteans saw their potential danger, and uplifted them with messages of peace, diplomacy, and science, not just busting up everything in reach. As such, the race became fiercely loyal to the Alteans, so when they were destroyed, they settled down for a long battle with the Galrans. They are one of the reasons Zarkon wants Voltron; they've been resisting Galran rule for all 10,000 years, although they are half-imprisoned in their own system.
Buzz is one of the few who makes it out, mainly to explore and to spy on Galran forces. He's of the Science cast, indicated by his green tone instead of the red of Warrior or bronze of Worker or gold of Religious or blue of Royal (they change colors to match their chosen profession). His specialty is zenobiology, with a minor in botany. On top of those, he's also very observant and intelligent; he's good at making connections and detective-style thinking. His personality is cheerful, friendly, and somewhat cocky; he's smart and knows it. But he's not a great fighter, at least by Kiiree standards; at just over 6 feet he's really short for his race (who's warriors can top at nearly double that), and he's not very strong. Despite this, he's still a good fighter and really strong by even Galran standards, just not nightmarishly so like a Kiiree warrior.
He's got a very, very one-sided crush on Pidge. They're both smart and small for their races. Poor boy; its just not happening.
4. Having fun with the three OC's! Don't know where they are; they're just snooping some Galran ship I think. All three are enjoying themselves, although Fizz would like it if Buzz would not use her head as a prop. This drawing made me think of their heights, and I realized that they're all roughly around the same; between 6 foot and 6' 1. Fizz is REALLY TALL and lanky for an Altean, Buzz is itty-bitty for a Kiiree, and Lezda is slightly below-average Galran height. And I just now noticed they all have Z's in their names, lol. I don't know about you, but I'm learning something here.
5. Had some fun and designed Paladin suits and bayards for my OC's. Fizz's color is navy blue; that's the shade of her cheekmarks, and her hair is a nearly black navy. Her bayard splits in half and becomes energy-bladed tonfa (she uses bladed tonfa usually; you can see their handles on her back on the first image). She's VERY happy to find a new way to kick butt.
6. Lezda's paladin suit! She's doing her "evil chick" laugh, because she has a new way to hunt her hated enemies; her former druid comrades. Her color is . . . well, when I pulled up color wheels, its something like "medium violet red" but I got it from the Galrans, so its their purple/fushia/pink that she has. Her weapon is a dagger that can slide back and forth on the hilt, so she can rapidly change the angle the blade is coming at. I asked my sis what sort of weapon she'd have, and apparently hand-to-hand isn't her thing, but stabbing someone in the back sure is. She's still getting used to being a good guy, lol
7. Buzz was hard, because the guy's not exactly as human-like as the other two. He's got four arms, wings, and dino-feet. I originally was going to leave his feet open (his species doesn't wear shoes), but the realized that would null the whole "spacesuit" thing. Still not sure what to do with his wings; I guess they can survive vacuum now? Even though they'd be useless in a vacuum. He's gonna have to aim them straight sideways to avoid getting burned by the jetpack. His color is also weird. I was going to give him Cyan, but that's the color of the paladin suit glowing decals, so that was redundant. Instead I went with his color in his own artwork, which on the pallet I found is classified as between medium aquamarine and medium sea-green. His bayard splits in half too, to make dual pistols. He prefers guns as a fighting style, since he considers his hand-to-hand sub-par by Kiiree standards.
(If you've seen my original concept art for this guy, you might notice I made a few tweaks to his design; his eyes are smaller and I didn't include the insectoid abdomen because I couldn't think of how that would fit in a Paladin suit.)
EDIT: Hate to make this longer, but someone asked a cool question about their lions' personalities and how they'd interact. Make sure to read my response; I'd put it here, but this commentary is evilly long enough (although I may do it if the comments section gets too big). /EDIT
Augh, I talked to much again. I can't help it; I like to share facts about my characters.
And do my OC's paladin suit colors remind anyone of a pilot anime episode from around 2000 or so called "The Shiners"? At least I hope that was the name; I can't find it on Google. If anyone can help me find it, it was a hilarious parody of color-coded team combiner mecha animes. Aside from the main character who chose Red (because his brother said that was what heroes wore), the others in the team picked weird colors, like Slate Grey or Salmon Pink. The dub was considered to be one of the funniest dubs ever, and vastly better than the original Japanese because of all the inserted inside jokes and 4th wall breaking. I've been trying to find the thing for a few years but now I feel a real need to see it again. It was rather popular back in my day, and rather sad the show was never picked up for a season in Japan.
. . . And now all this talk about hilarious but cancelled mecha shows is making me want to watch Megas XLR again, lol. The one mech who can take on Voltron, as long as its Coop behind the wheel.
Voltron is copyrighted to Netflix and Dreamworks
PS DEVIANTART. I HATE YOUR CODING; WHY DO YOU KEEP PUTTING IN STUPID RANDOM SYMBOLS IN MY TEXT?? WHY ARE MY LINKS ALWAYS BREAKING? WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH?
I can't fix this, because every time I go in to fix the last mess up, a whole new slew are introduced. So I apologize to everyone if some links are broken or there's some stupid coding thrown in mid-sentence. That is so not my fault; I'm hopefully going to fix it with this update. *crosses fingers*